North Shore Education Grants
Lions Gate Hospital Foundation recognizes the importance of continuous learning to the success
of both individual workers and to Vancouver Coastal Health as a whole.
Lions Gate Hospital Foundation has created the Staff Education Fund as a way to encourage and support VCH North Shore staff in their educational endeavours. This gift is made possible from proceeds earned through the Vendors Corner in the Lions Gate Hospital lobby as well as donations from individuals and organizations. This special fund was created with a dual purpose:
- to support staff in achieving their educational and professional goals
- to add value to the organization
Who is eligible to access these funds?
- All regular full-time employees who have worked for a minimum of one year within publicly funded healthcare facilities on the North Shore (e.g. Cedarview, Kiwanis Care Centre, Lions Gate Hospital, etc.)
- Casual or part-time employees who have worked for the equivalent of one full-time year (1950 hours) and worked 350 hours within the last year in publicly funded healthcare facilities on the North Shore.
What can I get funding for?
This fund supports VCH North Shore employees who are seeking:
- Professional development. For example, conferences, seminars or courses related to their current job/role in the organization
- To expand their career options in healthcare in the VCH North Shore. For example, skill upgrading from LPN to RN, or Home Support Worker to Medical Office Assistant - through post-secondary education courses or programs
- To expand their academic qualifications related to a healthcare career in VCH North Shore. For example, obtaining a bachelor's, master's or Ph.D. degree
How much money can I apply for?
- A maximum of up to $1,000 once every two years to support professional development such as conferences, seminars, workshops, or diploma programs. The fund will support 50% of the conference or the course registration fee dependent on available funds.
- A maximum of up to $1,000 a year can be applied for towards a University degree - either an Undergraduate or Masters Degree. The fund will support 50% of the registration fee dependent on available funds up to a maximum of $4,000 per degree. Please note: VCH staff sponsored in the MALD program (Masters of Arts in Leadership and Development) at Royal Roads University will not be eligible for the staff education fund.
Books, travel, accommodation, examination/certification fees, annual registration fees, memberships, licensing fees, and lost wages are not eligible for funding. The minimum grant to be considered is $75. Funds may be taxable; a T4A will be issued by VCH at year end.
What else do I need to know before applying?
- If you resign from the organization within two years of receiving funding, you must refund the grant in full.
- Your manager must approve your funding request.
- You are expected to share your learning in one or more of the following ways: a workshop, presentation or in-service for colleagues; a written report for distribution to interested colleagues; a commitment to coach others in the organization;
- All fee receipts as well as confirmation of course completion must be submitted within one month of completion of semester, course, workshop, etc.
- You should apply WITHIN THREE MONTHS of attending or completing an education program/event.
Funds will not be granted more than SIX MONTHS RETROACTIVELY.
Further funding requests will not be processed without this documentation.
- Manager's signature on the application.
- Copy of course details should be included with your application.
- Proof of registration should be included with your application form or within one month of course start date.
- Proof of payment should be included with your application form or within one month of course start date. Once your proof of payment is received in the Foundation office, a cheque will be issued.
- Proof of completion documents must be submitted within one month of completion of course(s) or event or at the end of each session of a degree program.
The Minerva Foundation for BC Women Award in conjunction with LGH Foundation is available through LGH Foundation
Additional funding is available for the development of women leaders through education, by assisting them with the costs of tuition. These awards target women in need who will have the most impact in their work or community, and those in fields or demographic groups who are currently underrepresented in leadership roles.
To be eligible for the award, a recipient must:
- be a female BC resident
- demonstrate financial need
- demonstrate academic proficiency
- demonstrate community engagement
- meet at least one of the following criteria:
- a single mother advancing her education
- a recent immigrant or an Aboriginal woman overcoming educational barriers
- a woman with a disability overcoming educational barriers.
Minerva funding is available only once per applicant and is dependent on availability of funds.
Who decides how funds are granted?
A committee with representation from the Foundation, from Programs and from Support Services meets quarterly on the 2nd Wednesday of March, June, September, and December.
How will I know if my request has been approved?
All applicants will be notified within two weeks of the Advisory Committee meetings of the status of their request. You will be advised as to what date your cheque will be available from the Foundation office at Lions Gate Hospital.
When should I submit my application?
- You should APPLY WITHIN THREE MONTHS OF ATTENDING or completing an education program/event.
- You may apply for an upcoming course (starting within three months of application. In this case, once the funding request has been approved, receipt of documentation showing registration and payment must be received in order to access the funds.
- Funds will NOT be granted more than SIX MONTHS RETROACTIVELY.
- Please have application in to the Foundation office at least one week before the committee meets.
- Deadlines for applications will be posted on the Founation display wall and in the elevators.
Where can I get application forms?
Printed application forms are available in the Learning & Development offices, in union offices, at posting boards and in the Foundation office at Lions Gate Hospital. You can also download a PDF document of the North Shore Staff Education Fund Application (141KB pdf) form.
For further information please contact Delia Jamieson.